A leaking roof can cause a number of other problems within the home, due to the moisture that can enter the property through the roof. This can cause mold and mildew to grow which could be hazardous to the health of you and your family. The moisture could even cause structural damage to the property.
There could be several reasons why a roof is leaking, and identifying the problem is the first step to putting things right. You are likely to need to hire a roofing company to fix the problem that is causing the leak, but having some idea of what the problem is yourself is never a bad thing. Some of the most common reasons why a roof could leak can be found below.
- Shingles are missing or broken. Shingles can become broken or may even be removed from the roof by high winds. You will usually be able to notice if there are shingles missing from your roof because this will create a patchy effect. Shingles that are broken may be a little harder to spot and may require some investigation on the roof.
- Damage to the flashing. The flashing is thin strips of metal that can be found under the shingles. They are there to create a water resistant barrier but over time they can slip out of place. Cracks may also appear in the caulking if this has dried out. When the flashing is damaged, then the protection from moisture that your roof should have will be reduced. (Solcelletak)
- Age of the roof. All roofs come with a recommended lifespan and you may start to notice frequent leaks if your roof has been installed for many years. The materials of the roof can also start to deteriorate when they are exposed to sunlight or harsh weather conditions. This can make it easier for any water to find its way into the property. (Takfornying)
- Gutters becoming clogged. It is not unusual for gutters to become clogged with leaves and other debris. This can lead to pools of water forming on the roof which may make leaks more likely. Cleaning out your gutters should be a regular task and something that is done more frequently in the autumn months.
- Damage to soffits or fascia. The fascia is prone to water damage and over time water can cause holes to appear. These holes may be made worse by small animals such as birds and squirrels that will try to get inside them.
- Holes in the roof. Something falling onto the roof such as a branch of a tree can be enough to put a hole in it. Holes may also be caused accidentally when items such as satellite dishes are installed. (agder tak)
The cost of repairing a leaking roof will vary depending on what the issue is and the severity of the problem. Depending on the age of the roof and what is wrong with it, there may be situations where a replacement is a better choice. A professional roofing contractor will be able to talk you through all of your options.